The competitive environment of online streaming is getting hotter day by day. SlingTV is one of the game-changers in the online streaming and movie-on-demand industry. People often fear the cord-cutting because of some premium contents including the sports channels like ESPN. SlingTV brings you a myriad of general and premium television contents without confining you in a monthly contract.
SlingTV is one of the cheapest internet-based cable TV alternatives available out there. Spending just $20, you can bask in the Live cable channels like never before. The service comes with 7-days free trial. SlingTV is easy to install and it delights you with its vast content library and a magnetic interface. Here is a comprehensive review of the leading-edge service to help you out if you are giving your traditional cable service a second thought.
About The Interface
If you are going to cut the cord any soon and have a great internet connection at home, SlingTV can be a dreamlike experience for you. The interface of the cable streaming service is very engaging and friendly. There are cards for the movies and television shows. You can choose a channel displayed on the top and pick your favorite movie or show from the cards that are available at that moment. There is an option to save your favorite stuff so that you can find it quickly the next time you open SlingTV.
The Search option helps you find the contents that you can’t find on the cards. You may get a feeling like navigating NETFLIX at moments. If you are still undecided about your cable alternative pick, the easy-to-use SlingTV can offer you a complete value for money.
SlingTV makes sure you never miss your favorite shows and flicks regardless of your location. With Cloud DVR amenity, you can watch the movies and shows you like anytime and anywhere. For a single show or movie, you can visit the On Now, Guide or Sports cards and select the RECORD button there. This will save your favorite stuff on the platform so that you can access them anytime from your desired location.
SlingTV offers a selection of television series as well which can also be recorded for later choosing the ‘ALL’ option while recording. Recording can also be done while watching contents. Just take care of the maximum storage as the old saved contents will be deleted automatically when maximum space is full. You will have to pay an additional $5 to access the DVR feature on the platform.
How Does it Work?
There is a section called My TV where you can enjoy some featured contents recommended by the service itself. For trending or popular entertainment stuff, you can enter the On Now section. For on-demand television shows, there is a separate section called Shows. You can not only check out the TV show schedule but pick a channel by genre. The Guide section helps you discover the shows and movies available for watching now or later.
For sports fanatics, the service is a blessing as it offers many premium sports channels without any shocking additional amount. There is a section called sports where you can explore all the hottest sports programs available on the platform. The movie section helps you dive into a huge library where you can find a selection of classics, action, comedy, romcom and many other genres of movies.
SlingTV is compatible with a selection of devices including –
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Xbox One
- Nexus Player from Google
- Air TV
- Computers and Laptops (Mac OS Lion 10.7, Windows 7, Windows 10 )
Price & Packages
There are presently 3 primary packages from SlingTV –
- Sling Orange – This basic package will cost you a monthly subscription price of $20 offering you more than 25 channels including ESPN and DISNEY. You can stream a single device at a time.
- Sling Blue – If you want more premium channels on the platform, get ready to spare $25 a month and more than 45 channels will be available there to entertain you. You can watch FOX and NBC like premium channels choosing this package but miss ESPN and DISNEY. Up to 3 device streaming is available in this package.
- Sling Orange + Blue – This is the combo package offering the combined benefits of Sling Orange and Sling Blue. You will have to spend $40 a month and more than 50 channels including ESPN, FOX, NBC, and DISNEY will be available in the library. Up to 4 devices can be streamed in this package.
There are many premium channels like HBO, EPIX, Cinemax and Starz available on the platform and to access these channels, you will have to cough up a bit more every month. HBO costs an additional $15 per month. There are other additional packages available as well on the platform including Sports Extra, Comedy Extra, Kids Extra, News Extra, and Lifestyle Extra and the additional amount needed to access each of the packages is $5 per month. There are some foreign language add-on packages too under $15 per month.
Channels on SlingTV
1. SlingTV Orange Channels
A&E, AXS TV, AMC, Bloomberg TV, BBC America, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Cheddar, Disney, El Rey Network. ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, Freeform, Flama, Food Network, Galavision, HISTORY, HGTV, IFC, Lifetime, Local Now, MAKER, Newsy, POLARIS by MAKER, Travel Channel, TBS, TNT, VICELAND.
2. SlingTV Blue Channels
A&E, AMC, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Bloomberg Television, Bravo, CNN, Cartoon Network, Cheddar, Comedy Central, El Rey, FOX, FOX RSNs, FX, FXX Syfy, Flama, Food Network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Galavision, HGTV, HISTORY, IFC, Lifetime, Local NowMaker, NBC, NBC RSNs, NBC Sports Network, NFL Network, Nat Geo Wild, National Geographic, Newsy, Nick Jr., Polaris by Maker, TBS, TNT, Travel Channel, USA, UniMas, Univision, Viceland, truTV.
- Cheap – SlingTV comes for really cheap. The subscription prices of the platform are between $20 and $40 and the amenities are too many.
- Cloud DVR – For an additional $5, you can enjoy a show and movie recording amenity for 50 hours. Also, this feature helps you avoid the annoying commercials.
- A La Carte – Watch the program you like and pay only for it.
- No Contract – Unlike many streaming platforms, there is no contract associated with this service. 7-days free trial is a bonanza.
- Many Add-on packages – You can make your entertainment experience personalized with affordable additional packages.
- Live TV
- On-demand service
- Limited local channels
- Web application not available
- Search option may trouble sometimes
- Poor performance with average or slow internet
- Consumes a huge amount of internet data
SlingTV is standing out in the competition and giving a challenge to many of its peers like DirecTV and PlayStation Vue. For the cord-cutters, it’s a great pick as for a competitive subscription price, it offers a myriad of entertainment stuff in High Definition. With add-on packages and DVR, your entertainment is not just confined to the on-demand and live TV experiences. Make a wise decision this season before you hinge on a traditional cable alternative.